Summer is finally here!!! So I know some of you are shuffling to find budget friendly vacation ideas for your family vacation. This is something I’m all too familiar with and while a vacation may seem like an expensive venture, there are many ways to vacation on a budget.
After doing some research while planning my own summer getaway, I have decided to share my findings… Or rather what I believe are the top budget friendly vacation ideas in order to help you plan your vacation.
In this post I will discuss how you can plan a vacation on a budget exploring five budget friendly vacation ideas for you and your family. At the end I will also include additional ideas that you may consider.
Plan your vacation in advance
It is a known fact that planning your vacation early is probably one of the most effective ways to ensure your vacation stays within the budget. Planning ahead of time allows you to comfortably budget and plan for your upcoming vacation.
First of all, you want to identity where you want to visit considering the time of year based on region. Next, you need to fine-tune your itinerary date and budget. Then start looking for deals on flights and hotels.
Here are a few tips to help you start planning your next big getaway.
- Ensure you book your flight and travel first as these prices usually increase closer to the travel time.
- Choose and book accommodation for your vacation. Always have a second option on your list.
- Decide how you will get around. Depending on the location you may need to rent a car.
- Identify things to do and places to eat.
Plan a stay-cation
Don’t we all love a good stay-cation? I know I do!
A stay-cation is the perfect way to explore your home city and with the right research can be a great way to vacation on a budget. There are many ways to plan a stay-cation and turn a regular weekend into a vacation weekend. This doesn’t mean you have to check into an all-inclusive for the weekend. There are many other things you can do that can be just as relaxing. Just to list a few:
- Rent an Airbnb for a weekend getaway.
- Become a local tourist and go site seeing.
- Check out free local events.
- Plan a geocaching event with family and friends.
- Plan a picnic.
First, you need to do some research on your local area to find things you would be interested in doing. You would be surprised that there is plenty to do that you didn’t know or think about before. Once you figure out what you want to do and you’ve created a budget, there are many online resources that can be utilized in order to find deals and sales in your area for places to stay and things to do.
Plan a group vacation with friends
Group trips and travel are becoming more popular, because it is a great way to vacation on a budget to lower travel expenses. And you have to admit, they can be loads of fun if executed correctly. So, if you are considering traveling with family and friends, planning a group trip is a great way to build long lasting bonds, and learn more about how to travel.
Here are some steps to help you plan your group vacation:
- Agree on two (2) leaders.
- Agree on a destination and set the budget.
- Book your flight and travel first.
- Decide on two accommodation options.
- Prepare a payment plan with deadline and agree on a payment method.
- Pre-plan a few group activities.
Go on a Day Trip
I don’t know about you, but I personally love day trips. Mainly because they are a great way to take a little break from your reality. Of all the ways to vacation on a budget this is the easiest. And how could I not say – the most cost effective. In addition, it does not require a lot of planning. All you really need is a destination, a full tank of gas, snacks and some good company and music.
Book a last minute cruise
A cruise is an awesome way to see multiple countries while still enjoying an all-inclusive experience. It is always advised to book your cruise at least a year in advance. This is to ensure you secure a good price and a decent room. But based on my own personal experience you can also vacation on a budget by booking a last minute cruise.
If you don’t book early, the next best time to book a cruise is 60 to 90 days prior to departure. This is usually the time period for travelers to cancel existing reservations without penalty. The cruise line will now know exactly how many cabins are available for booking. As a result, they will quickly reduce the fare so they can fill all the rooms and sell out the ship.
Additional vacation on a budget ideas
- Travel and stay with family.
- Go camping.
- Travel during off-peak season.
- Book a cheap flight for a long weekend.
- Choose an area with 3 activities that can be completed in a day.
- Identify budget friendly countries to visit.
- Travel within your region.